Mar 29, 2008

Sold My First Reprint



I sold my first re-print of an article I had previously published online. The Editor of The Heart of New England online magazine saw my Vermont Artisan Cheese article on the Associated Content website. She emailed me on March 8th requesting permission to reprint it on the magazines website.

It's kind of funny, it's one of the lowest page view articles I have ever written for Associated Content. But I guess the editor thought it was the perfect fit for The Heart of New England Magazine.

I received $15 for the reprinted article - way more than I've made in page views over on Associated Content.

Here is a copy of the email I received from the editor:
"Hi Lynn,

I'm publisher & editor of The Heart of New England online magazine. I would like to publish your article about Vermont Cheeses. I pay $15 per article. Please let me know if this is okay. Thank you!

Marcia Passos Duffy
The Heart of New England online magazine
http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/

Invoice for Payment
She asked that I send the article to her in word format as an email attachment and to send her a seperate invoice to be paid. I use Paypal so I sent an invoice through Paypal to the editor for $15. I received payment the very next day.

On March 14th I received another email from the editor with the link to my article reprint: Vermont's Artisan Cheeses.

Now if I could only figure out how to sell reprints off ALL my articles, I might be able to go on that trip to Hawaii!!!

Free Reprint
A million years ago, my first few articles were published just so I could start collecting a few clippings to show to other editors. I had a few articles published in the Essential Herbal Magazine. No payment, but I did receive a free copy of the magazine.

About a week prior to selling the chesse article reprint, I was contacted by the Editor of The Essential Herbal Magazine. Here is a copy of her email to me:

"Hi Lynn,

I'm in the process of putting together the first five years of The Essential Herbal into 2 volumes. One will encompass Spring/Summer, the other Fall/Winter. The first three years are almost completely sold out, and there was a lot of great stuff in there. So I'm writing to ask if you will give me permission to reprint the articles that you submitted to the magazine. Proper credit of course - and you may want to change the credits to reflect your lynn smythe creations site.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!
Tina
http://www.essentialherbal.com/

I gave her permission to reprint the articles asap. I updated my contact information, so you never know, I could be receiving more reprint requests in the future.

0 comments: